Monday, January 9, 2012

New life, times two


12/14/2011
Lying on a table, getting an ultrasound done, I felt like I was having my first out of body experience. There on the screen were two little beans. As thoughts raced through my head "Can I actually be seeing two babies?" so many emotions swept over me as I reasoned with myself and put things into perspective. All while the ultrasound technician was continually printing out images of my full uterus. I sat there still, quiet, and in awe. Then, the confirmation came. The ultrasound tech labled those beans.... Twin A and Twin B.

A few photos of my babies were handed to me, and I proceeded to the waiting room while my doctor looked at the information prepared by the ultrasound technician. For the next 20 minutes I could not take my eyes off of that picture. The images of my tiny babies were so beautiful that I'm sure everyone in the room noticed my smile. I then explained to Owen that there were two babies in mommy's belly, not just one. He smiled, hesitated a moment and then exclaimed "I might get a brother AND a sister!"

Lets back up a little. On Thanksgiving eve, as Brian was preparing the turkey for our upcoming feast, I found out that I was pregnant. It was such an unexpected and welcomed joy that we were able to celebrate together, right at Brian's favorite holiday.


Right from the beginning, I felt that this pregnancy was entirely different from my pregnancy with Owen. I must have said that a dozen times, because all of the symptoms were much more intense. I never had morning sickness with Owen, and this time around I felt like I didn't have a moment of not feeling sick. The list of doubled pregnancy symptoms just goes on and on.

I scheduled an early appointment with my OB/Gyn to have an ultrasound, because I was not sure how far along I was. My doctor told me that all she could see was a thick endometrium and possibly a tiny gestational sac, but that it was too early to tell. She scheduled another ultrasound for 2 weeks from then. I left the doctors office feeling really emotional. Close friends who knew of my pregnancy reassured me and prayed. Two weeks went by and it was time for my second ultrasound. December 14th. That's when I saw my twins for the first time. The whole time we had been praying for this baby and it turns out, it was two babies all along! What an awesome God, we have.

That first ultrasound that I had, was only at 4 weeks which is why nothing was seen. My second ultrasound, where the twins were clearly visible, was at 6 weeks. So now as I approach my third ultrasound this Wednesday, at 10 weeks, I can't help but wonder how different my babies will look. Seeing that their little tails have completely vanished, and now they will have arms and legs!

New life, so intricate and wonderfully made. Such a blessing.

No comments: