Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Designed for the Side Sleeper



After five excruciating days AND nights of neck pain I had had enough. I knew that one night I went to sleep pain-free, and the next morning I woke up barely able to move my head completely to the side. Over the next few days that pain gradually got worse until there was so much resistance, I could not look completely to my right OR my left. This pain was at the base of my skull, and felt like someone had put a metal bolt right through my neck - very Frankenstein-esque.

In the past, I have been no stranger to waking up with neck pain. SO, I decided to invest in a new pillow. I was quite skeptical on how something as simple as a pillow could cause or prevent so much pain. Little did I know, there were hundreds of different kinds of pillows for different kinds of sleepers. Crazy? Well, not so much. It makes sense. Brian likes a thin, soft pillow. I have always needed something of more substance.

I went out on my adventure of pillow shopping. So many to choose from. But I must say, they do make the overwhelming white redundancy more manageable by creating a color system for different sleep positions. *cue harp* ~ a whole section of pillows designed for SIDE SLEEPERS! Has this been the cause of my random neck pain for the past 10 years? Was it really THAT simple?? Part of me wished it was a cure, and the other part wanted to stay oblivious just because it seemed so simple.

Last night, I made the bed in fresh sheets and shoved my huge, thick, FIRM side sleeper pillow into the pillow case. It was so plump that it looked like a stuffed sausage. I climbed in bed, and immediately felt how comfortable my head and neck were. No strain, not one bit of pain. "We shall see how I feel in the morning" I thought to myself as I quickly drifted off to sleep.

Next morning..... I woke up to Owen climbing into the bed. I looked to my left... NO PAIN! Ummmm, seriously?? I excitedly moved my head back and forth. No resistance, no pain! Hallelujah!

Wow. This pillow was worth every penny.

1 comment:

Holly Steffen said...

YAY!!! :)

it's the little things in life, ya know?